|THE ARUNDELL ARMS, TISBURY
|This hostelry and the South Western Hotel were built following
the construction of the London and South Western Railway through Tisbury
The picture would have been taken around 1907 when Joseph William Harrison was named as the proprietor. The amount of traffic around the stables would indicate its popularity at that time. The beautiful metal balustrade shown in the picture has recently been replaced and restored by the present owner, Malcolm Poynter. The framework of Tisbury's gasholder, demolished in 1921 with the coming of electricity to the village can also be seen from across the railway.
It is no longer possible to get a view of this building from this position as the trees have grown up considerably since the original photograph was taken.
|© Tisbury History Society|