|COURT STREET, TISBURY|
Court Street was originally known as Course Road. The picture is taken about 1900. On the right can be seen the entrance to New Road (now the Avenue), constructed in 1881 for Alfred Morrison of Fonthill Park. This would have made the journey of heavy stone carrying wagons from Chilmark and Chicksgrove much easier than their previous journey up the steep incline of Cuffs Lane. In the centre, left of the cart, can be seen Samuel Yates's old blacksmith's shop and cottages that were demolished when Court Street Close was built.
|© Tisbury History Society|